2.4.06

25 Hours a Day


It has been quite a busy last few weeks for me. Things are progressing on many fronts and sometimes it is difficult to keep up. People say to me there are only so many hours in the day. I think I am pushing the boundaries on the what the definition of a "day" is, and how many of these so called "hours" you can fit into one. With that in mind, I have been able to achieve remarkable success in a recording I am currently working on. I spent all last weekend in the studio laying down guitar tracks with Rowan, the guitarist from my band. I have been very fortunate to enlist the help of an engineer from a local recording studio, Soundhouse. Ian, the engineer, was able to provide me assistance in fine tuning mic placement on the guitars. My setup is as follows;

ESP Ltd 6 String with EMG 81 Pickups
Peavey 5150
Engl 4x12 Cab with Celestion Greenbacks
Boss EQ Stompbox

My rig has a rich tone which is complemented by the tuning of my guitar; dropped A,E,A,D,G,#G. For the recording I also used an EQ rackmount unit through the fx send on the Peavey.

For the mic setup I used an SM57, Neumann U89, and an AKG mic, the model number eludes me right now. THe SM57 and AKG mics were close to the cab, phasing allowed me to cancel out some nasty high mids. I was able to get a very resonant tone from the AKG mic while the 57 captured the crunch from the 5150. The U81 I used as an ambient mic, I'm not sure whether I will use this sound yet.

I will be uploading some pics of the session soon, and when I have finished editing, some samples of the guitars.