14.5.07

AA Week 9 - Auto Tune

This week our class was supposed to to be an opportunity to study Antares Auto Tune with David Grice. David was there, the studio was there, I was there, Vinnie was also there, and most importantly, my enthusiasm was in full swing. I was looking forward to exploring the functionality of Auto Tune.

"Antares Auto-Tune is a powerful pitch-correction tool which is already an industry standard for tightening up vocal performances. As Paul White explains, however, it has the potential to do much more..."

This is a quote from the readings, an article from Sound on Sound Magazine, which is a tutorial for Antares Auto Tune. I have read the reading, and it was very informative. It is also available free on the Internet.

Ok, so we don't have Antares, what now? The class ended up with David trying to explain how to use Auto Tune using some generic "pitch shifter". I know how to use a pitch shifter and I know that it is not really the same thing. I have used Auto Tune myself at Sound House Studios, so luckily, I am not completely in the dark(I cannot speak for Vinnie though).

David asked us to finish off a mix of last week's jazz recording. I enjoyed doing this, here it is.

Jazz Ensemble - Full Mix 2'46, 320kbps, Download[6.5Mb]